Audio video services, or AV services, install and maintain audio and visual equipment in places like schools, hospitals, hotels, casinos, churches, and office buildings. They can also design a system for an event or business.
Using a variety of hand tools and more sophisticated diagnostic instruments, they troubleshoot and repair electronic devices that connect sound to video. This work may be done in a single room or an entire building.
They often consult schematics and manufacturers’ specifications before working on a piece of technology. They can also use specialized programs that help them detect electrical malfunctions.
An AV technician must have the ability to install, operate, and disassemble a wide range of audio and video equipment. This includes televisions, projectors, monitors, microphones, speakers, and other devices. They must also have knowledge of how to work with a computer and how to connect to a network.
The audio visual industry is a growing one, with jobs expected to grow 13% from 2016-2026. This is due to the increase of teleconferencing and the trend toward remote workers. It’s important for AV technicians to be able to install and support this technology so that businesses can get the most out of their conferencing rooms.
If you’re interested in becoming an AV technician, you need to have the following qualifications:
1. Earn a postsecondary certificate or associate degree with an audio visual focus. These can be found at most colleges and universities in the United States. These courses are designed to give you a better understanding of the industry and how it works.
2. Develop an in-depth understanding of the AV field by completing an internship or on-the-job training program. This will allow you to gain the experience needed for a career as an AV technician and will give employers the confidence that you’re capable of handling a wide range of technical issues.
3. Demonstrate strong communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical topics to other people. This is necessary because you’ll be communicating with customers and clients about how to use a particular device or technology.
4. A passion for electronics and a desire to learn new things is a must. This is especially true if you’re working for an organization that specializes in a specific area of technology, such as virtual reality.
5. Be creative and be willing to think outside the box. This is a must for any organization that wants to stay ahead of the curve in a rapidly changing business environment.
6. Show initiative and be a team player. This is important because you’ll be working with other AV technicians to set up and run events that involve hundreds of people.
7. Be a creative problem-solver and take ownership of your work. This is a must for AV professionals who are constantly solving problems in different environments.
8. Keep your ear to the ground for the latest advancements in the industry.
AV technologies are making it possible to do more than provide excellent sound and visuals in gyms, restaurants, and other establishments. It’s also helping to create a more personalized environment for guests and employees, keeping them in the establishment longer and increasing their purchasing power.